Friday, September 2, 2011

Henry's Birth Day

Henry Michael Steven Wilusz was born on August 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm by c-section after 30 hours of labor. Labor and delivery was not the experience I expected.  I started having weird pains as I was getting ready to go into work on Friday, but thought nothing of them because it was a week before my due date and I was busy getting my room and sub prepared.  As the day progressed, I had 1-3 contractions an hour. Then while I was out to lunch with my sub they started getting more frequent.  By the time we got back to school, we started keeping track of them as we chatted and got things done.  They were about 5 - 10 minutes apart. I informed my hubby of what was happening and told him I would keep him updated. Near 2 pm, I got worried and decided to call my mom to ask her if she thought I going into labor or if she thought it was false labor.  She thought it maybe false labor, but she wasn't sure either. Up until now, I didn't have contractions just mild cramps here and there.  Then I didn't know if I should go to my dentist appointment at 3:15, but I wanted to keep the appointment because I had had it for 6 months. So I decided to go and get my teeth cleaned. My mom came with me just in case I needed to go to the hospital.  During my appointment, the contractions dropped off a bit.  After the appointment, my mom and I decided to go to Somerset to drop by Victoria Secret. While we were there the contractions started coming on stronger and 3-5 minutes apart. At that point, I called Mike and told him he better come home, that this could be it. When he got home we called the doctor. Unfortunately, my doctor was not on call. Instead, I got to meet the doctor from the practice he partners with.  She said it sounded like I was in labor, but to wait a half hour to an hour just to make sure.  So I took a hot shower and waited.  When they became 2 -3 minutes apart, we went to the hospital.  When we got there at 8:30 pm, I found out I was 3-4 cm dilated and they admitted me. Then to make to make a long story short. I was 5 cm dilated by 1 am. I couldn't take the pain any more so I got an epidural. I was totally dilated between 2 and 3am, but they had my pushing too early much to my obs dismay.  When my ob realized I was -1 instead of +1 she was not happy.  So I got more meds and tried to rest. By 10ish, I was pushing again, but could  not get him out even though we could see the head.  I was just too exhausted and my ob thought he could either be stuck or I was just too tired. So I told them to go ahead with the c-section. I cried the entire time. But in the end I got my beautiful baby boy;)

No comments:

Post a Comment